“Evolution and Adaptation: The Future of International Arbitration.”
ICCA is pleased to present the preliminary programme for the 24th ICCA Congress to be held in Sydney, Australia from 15 – 18 April 2018. The theme for the 24th Congress is Evolution and Adaptation: The Future of International Arbitration. Under this heading, issues such as the legitimacy of law-making processes, adaptation in the face of substantive and practical challenges, involvement of public bodies and public interests in arbitration, and the challenges and opportunities of modernity will be addressed.
The theme for the 2018 Congress has been chosen to highlight arbitration as a “living” organism which has proven adaptable in the past to new substantive and practical challenges, and that today – under attack from various quarters – will need to demonstrate its adaptability again. Under this theme, a range of programmes will be developed to address the evolving needs of users (both commercial and investor-State), the impact of the rapidly changing face of technology on the practice of arbitration, the expectations of the public, and the convergence or divergence of legal traditions and cultures.
Current topics under development for ICCA 2018 include:
- Ways in which international arbitration in the past has proven a catalyst for development of new rules, guidelines and transnational norms and the potential or drawbacks of further initiatives
- The range of challenges and criticisms now facing investment and commercial arbitration, and various proposals to address them
- Lessons and specific techniques that can be drawn from other dispute resolution frameworks, including those used in sports and domain name arbitration
- The moving face of technology and the challenges and opportunities it poses for practice
- Evaluating the momentum towards transparency and public participation (what the future holds)
- Revisiting conventional wisdom about organizing arbitral proceedings
- "New frontiers" in international arbitration, including opportunities to become relevant in the critical areas of climate change, human rights, and corporate social responsibility.
As further details surrounding the Congress program are confirmed, this page will be updated to keep delegates informed of the outstanding Congress ahead.
Until ICCA 2018
visit the event website.
- Sponsorship opportunities available
from early 2016
- Registration open
- Super Early Bird Registration close
31 March 2017
- Accommodation bookings open
from early 2017
- Early bird registration close
- ICCA 2018
15-18 April 2018